Students studying in Japan are welcome to apply for intern positions at YTG.
Domestic interns will work closely with Artistic Director Andrew Woolner, who runs the day-to-day operations of the company. There will be a minimum of typical admin duties (filing, office upkeep, etc.). YTG’s infrastructure is de-centralized, so there are no office hours or long commutes.
There are several areas of specialization available to intern applicants:
Publicity/Marketing(bilingual applicant preferred)
- Be part of the branding discussions for YTG
- Work closely with our experienced Publicity Coordinator
- Draft press releases (in English and/or Japanese)
- Write website copy (in English and/or Japanese)
- Write articles (in English and/or Japanese) about YTG for local publications
- Work on the revamping of the company’s look
- Help create templates for common documents
- Work on the Logo renewal project
- Create posters and program covers for upcoming shows
- Hone your web development skills on our website renewal project
- Refine the look and layout of the current site
- Come up with innovative ideas for content
Assistant to the Artistic Director (bilingual applicants only)
- Function as liaison between the Artistic Director and Japanese Theatres
- Attend production meetings with Theatres
- Become part of the Japanese arts community by attending arts events with the Artistic Director to represent YTG
- Help place phone calls to Japanese businesses to ask questions or make purchases
- Assist in preparing outgoing documents and emails that must be issued in English to Japanese
Compensation: Discounts on company-run Theatre classes; tickets to YTG events and shows; tickets to events of sister companies.
Dates, Days, Time: Extremely flexible. Work will be done mostly independently and reported through our online tool. Weekly meetings will be set up in order to check progress and deal with any problems. Interns may be occasionally asked to work certain hours in order to coordinate with rehearsals or online meetings, but generally will set their own schedules. (Such additional appointments will be made with the intern’s schedule in mind.)